Monday, May 21, 2007

0

That's the likelihood of an agreement between Prishtina and Belgrade. So why does Russia insist on an agreement between the parties that is impossible?

Remember the previous agreements between Serbs and their opponents? There aren't any. Ok, there are some, but they were all preceded by air force raids so they don't count. Last one around made a mess of Belgrade for 11 weeks. Before bombings began, negotiations went on for years while thousands perished and Sarajevans starved under the siege. With no Sarajevo siege in the world news, what's the chance of an agreement? 0.

Sometimes I wonder if Kosovo won't find peace unless something akin to the Krajina campaign happens. Once and for all. To be done with it. It's not politically correct, I know, but at the back of my brain the urge is so strong to be done with it once and for all.

Last time around I was just a powerless child found at the mercy of thugs around me. My family and I were spared as insurance for the thugs, in case anyone dared to attack them. I promised myself that if I made it out alive, I wouldn't stay without a gun by my side.

Now as I clench my hands target shooting the fine USP, I know its my small contribution towards recovering myself from that moment of helplessness eight years ago. It's been a while. 

Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

Bg anon said...

Ethnic cleansing is not the answer Warchild.

I understand your frustration but compromise is actually the answer. Personally I think the Kosovo Albanian side should take matters into their own hands and consider direct negotiations (even unofficial) with the Serbs. If that means the possiblity of land swaps etc to settle this issue once and for all then so be it.

However, Kosovo Albanian parties are still hanging on hoping that Western backers will eventually win through. Besides, many of these parties dont want to upset their patrons.

When there is deadlock, somebody has to propose something new and if one party is particularly suffering whilst waiting, it makes sense that this party should undertake activity. It may not be nice or fair but its the way the issue appears to me at the moment. The alternative is just to wait and hope. And all the time a floundering economy is getting worse and people getting more desperate.

Of course there is next to zero chance of direct negotiations without the Americans agreeing to it. I get the feeling that even vetevendosje, who are against negotiations with the Serbs, would take matters into their own hands and seek a deal with the Serbs rather than let Washington, London and Moscow dictate what, how and when a political solution to Kosovo is acheived.

I agree that the delay doesnt help Kosovo, the people that live there and the people that want to return.

The other temptation (from the Albanian perspective) must be go ahead and declare independence. That would have to be very carefully worked out, but again I dont think the main Kosovo Albanian parties would have the courage to risk upsetting their patrons.

Anonymous said...

Warchild,

During Oluja in Croatia, their radio stations kept repeating that no civilians should leave their homes. But they did... endless convoys of refugees, most of whom done nothing wrong, left Croatia.

Besides, the only Serbs left in Kosovo are civilians.

Nobody is negotiating freedom — it's a country, a state, that is being negotiated for. I have huge doubts that Kosovo will be any more free than any other Balkan country — where we, the people, only serve as votes for several groups of wannabe oligarchs. Corruption, militarism, nationalism... are so high in the Balkans that we can't talk about freedom.

What Vetëvendosje wants is legitimate, but not realistic. Would you want some Serbian kid to experience what you did before?

It's the lack of communication between Priština and Belgrade (and I'm talking about people like you and me, not the politicians) that is taking away our freedom...

Anonymous said...

Whatever the justification, be sure that the place where the past takes you is the place where you want to end up.